Quotes and Comments
The quotes are great, but to be consistent with my message, each has a comment. I am looking at the quotes through the lenses of my book, One Million in the Bank: How To Make $1,000,000 With Your Own Business, Even If You Have No Money Or Experience. The goal is to start a business and to be a millionaire in 3-7 yrs.
1. “As long as you’re going to be thinking anyway, think big.” –Donald Trump, The Trump Organization President
Comment: Nobody can argue about thinking big, but what is big enough and what is too big. Most people get a little paralyzed when they think too big. Break it into manageable steps and get started doing something.
2. “Chase the vision, not the money; the money will end up following you.” –Tony Hsieh, Zappos CEO
Comment: It worked out for Tony Hsieh, but this does not work out for most people if their goal is to have at least $1,000,000. Plus we are not talking about a world changing idea. If you have a great vision, that has economic value, and you execute a good plan, then the statement is likely true. But most people would be better off following a solid business plan and making sure the consideration of money is a big part of the plan.
3. “The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.” –Walt Disney, Co-Founder, Disney
Comment: Yes, Yes, Yes! You must always error on the side of action. Do something today. Start a business plan, or just get a book on how to start a business plan. Sign up for SCORE.org or sbdc.gov courses or anything, but take action.
4. “Any time is a good time to start a company.” –Ron Conway, Noted Startup Investor, SV Angel
Comment: This is so true. You may be waiting for the perfect time, but the perfect time is NOW! A solid business will make it during any economic environment.
5. “It’s almost always harder to raise capital than you thought it would be, and it always takes longer. So plan for that.” –Richard Harroch, Venture Capitalist and Author
Comment: This is always true. But if you do not need a lot of money, $1,000,000 or less, it is not as hard as one might think. I tell you how to find that money through undiscovered investors in One Million in the Bank.
6. “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” –Henry Ford, Ford Motor Company Founder
Comment: This speaks for itself, but all boils down to confidence and determination. You can do more than you think you can do. I guarantee it. Read my book for the how, but I also recommend Grit by Angela Duckworth and The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal. I have more recommendations in the back of One Million in the Bank.
Quotes are Fun
Quotes are fun, but use them as inspiration. Pick one of the above and work on that message all week, then pick another one. Baby steps can really make you a millionaire.